Blog Search


June Questions and Answers

Q1. I have just received a bonus payment of £100 from the Nationwide Building Society. Do I need to pay tax on this?

A: This bonus payment from the Nationwide is treated as normal bank interest for tax purposes, so it is taxable. However, in most cases it will be covered by your savings allowance of £1,000 (£500 for higher rate taxpayers). Taxpayers who pay income tax at 45% on savings do not benefit from a savings allowance, so they will have to pay £45 in tax on this bonus.

You will need to include this bonus in your 2023/24 tax return, if you normally complete one.

Q2. My company regularly pays expenses on my behalf which I later reimburse the company for, I have a variable outstanding debt with the company during the year. I‘ve read that if the total of that debt exceeds £10,000 at any point the company has to pay NIC at 13.8% on the entire amount. Is that correct?

A: The company has to pay NIC at 13.8% on the value of the deemed interest on the outstanding debt, which is treated as a taxable benefit for you, assuming you don‘t actually pay interest on that debt.

While the total debt is less than £10,000 there is no taxable benefit in kind, so its only periods during which the debt exceed £10,000 when the nominal interest needs to be calculated at the official rate (currently 2.25%).

If the debt was £12,000 for 3 months, the benefit in kind would be: (2.25% x 12,000) x 3/12 = £67.50. As a 40% taxpayer you would pay tax of £27. The company would pay NIC at 13.8% on £67.50 = £9.32.

Q3. An employee has been on maternity leave for several months and as a small company I have reclaimed the statutory maternity pay (SMP), but HMRC hasn‘t repaid this amount in full. Why could this be?

A: The PAYE system is set up to collect tax and other payroll deductions. When an employer is due a refund that sum is first off-set against the PAYE due to be paid over every month or quarter. Rather than pay back the balance of the refund to the employer, HMRC hang on to it to set it against future tax/ NIC liabilities.

If you look in your business tax account under the PAYE section and click on payments made, it should show an unallocated credit, which will be the balance of the SMP owing. You can ask HMRC to pay that sum to you, but that will involve phoning the employer helpline.

  • Latest news and testimonials

  • Latest News

    • September Q&A

      Q. I have two small businesses which are treated as a group for VAT purposes, so we only submit a single VAT return covering both …

      Read more
    • Making Tax Digital for Business: update

      In July, the Government confirmed that the Summer Finance Bill would be published in September, with the measures dropped from the pre-election Finance Bill being reintroduced …

      Read more
  • Testimonials

    • Partner – Solicitor

      I have worked with SBL over the last 10 years on numerous matters involving owner-managed business. They are professional, personable, knowledgeable and work incredibly hard to provide the best advice to their clients. I would have no hesitation in recommending SBL.

  • Don’t hesitate to ask

    SBL are here to help. With accountancy advice and tax planning experts on hand to guide you and your business on the pathway to success! You can call us on 020 7580 6822, or email us on or if you’d prefer you can complete our Free Online Enquiry Form and one of the team will be in touch shortly.

    Don’t hesitate to ask

    Don’t hesitate to ask section

    • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

    By submitting my details on this form, I consent to being contacted by a member of the SBL Accountants team by email or telephone. Privacy Policy